MONDAY: Lemon Chicken with Red Beans and Quinoa
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 37 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1kg), each sliced horizontally
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 radishes, sliced
- Combine quinoa with 6 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer 2 cups to an airtight container to refrigerate for Thursday’s dinner.
- Meanwhile, cover chicken with lemon juice and sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Use your fingers to rub in cumin, making sure to coat all sides.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken in a single layer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Turn and cook 4 to 5 minutes more until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Wrap up half the chicken (4 cutlets) and refrigerate for Thursday’s dinner.
- In the same skillet over medium-high, add remaining olive oil and red onion. Sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Season with remaining salt and cayenne pepper. Add black beans, vinegar, and pepper; combine and bring to a simmer. Stir in 3 cups prepared quinoa, remove from heat, and mix in parsley. Remove all but 1 1/2 cups of quinoa mixture; let cool, then refrigerate for Wednesday’s dinner.
- Divide chicken and quinoa mixture evenly among four plates. Garnish with radish slices and serve.